28 January 2017

Chinese New Year 2017



Happy Chinese New Year! 新年快樂! I hope this Year of the Cock brings you prosperity and happiness! This is my first Chinese New Year actually spent in the PRC as I usually use all the time off work to travel, and I must say the fireworks going off all over everywhere were pretty impressive! I was just at the point where I didn't think any more loud noises could make me jump when fireworks started exploding right outside my window, and I'll tell you what, they made me jump! More than a little crazy, but also very cool...




What was less cool was how our air - which amazingly had been in the 60s and 70s by the Chinese scale all day - in the space of a few hours got to this. The fireworks were incredible and I was touched by the love behind all the joss paper-burning that happened last night, but I can't help wondering if only having a couple of big city-organized fireworks shows and limiting the joss paper inferno to temples or a handful of locations citywide might not be healthier (not to mention safer!).

No comments:

Post a Comment