26 April 2015

"In Manchuria" by Michael Meyer

I recently picked up Michael Meyer's In Manchuria, and it's slowly helping me to fall back into like - alas, it's not love yet - with northeastern China. Meyer's descriptions of the landscape and history of this region as well as his exploration of Chinese culture generally (and northeastern Chinese culture in particular) have warmed my weary heart. I'm still a couple of months away from marking the anniversary of my move to Harbin, so it's natural to be somewhat disenchanted with the place. (In my life experience, anyways. I've only moved 20+ times in the last 30 years though, so I may well not know what I'm talking about...) All the same, stumbling across In Manchuria has been a very happy accident and a big help as I navigate the latest round of homesickness and annoyance with the million little frustrations that are part and parcel of adjusting to a new home. The experiences Meyer recounts are largely in the countryside - in a village far to the southwest of Harbin - but even so I would recommend In Manchuria to anyone considering a move to the city, or elsewhere in northeastern China for that matter! If you read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment