25 July 2014

Air with Chinese Characteristics


The smoggy view from my apartment building yesterday evening.

Air pollution was one of the big talking points in the lead-up to my move to China, but as I monitored the situation here in Harbin it seemed pretty great, with pollution readings generally in the 30s. (For more on that check out Wikipedia's article on the topic.) But the last two days our readings have been in the 200s. (At one point Thursday evening we got up to 301, and I'm told during the day it got into the 500s.) I've spent my brief time outdoors checking some of the bigger stores for face masks and the components for DIY air purifiers, but with no luck so far. I'm hoping for more luck tomorrow! In the meantime though the picture above pretty accurately portrays what things look like around here right now. (In Harbin's defense, I'm told this is very unusual for the summer, and the last two weeks have been pretty good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment